People forced to flee the home they love deserve support, compassion and justice.
The work we do means we have important stories to tell, and you can help us tell them.
We are facing the biggest global refugee crisis since the second world war. Did you know there are now 80 million displaced people fleeing war and persecution, and it is poor countries, not rich countries who provide shelter for 80% of them? In 2020, Britain received less than 3% of all asylum claims made across the EU.
We do the work we do because we want a safer and more welcoming society for the people seeking sancuary in Calderdale. We want an asylum system that is fair and effective, so that people can rebuild their lives and contribute to the UK.
When the media perpetuate myths about immigration, we have a responsibility to tell the truth. When the government work against agreed humanitarian principles and push for harsh legislation and confusing asylum processes, we stand against them. When local and statutory services in Calderdale struggle to support people seeking sanctuary, we help them do better.
Together with our centre members, we:
- give awareness raising talks to schools and organisations
- share stories about the challenges faced by our centre members
- help organisations in Calderdale support people seeking sanctuary and work together with Calderdale Valley of Sanctuary
- connect with policy makers
- support key campaigns
- build our own campaigns like this response to the Government’s Immigration Plan consultation here
How you can help
1. Join our social media platforms and sign up to our newsletter below to support key campaigns.
2. Become a member of Calderdale's Valley of Sanctuary (free!)
3. Book an awareness raising session from us by contacting Amber.
4. Bust myths and share truths with your freinds and family:
5. Follow and support these brilliant, national campaigning and advocacy organisations: